Friday, February 17, 2023

A true story about a guitar

 You look into the audience and ask

"Who's not from around here?"

and with no warning

my crazy hand shoots up.

It moves as if propelled

by a will of its own.

This renegade limb

is lying,

contradicting my life.

I am clearly from around here.

I was born on this very spot.

 

You point towards me

and laugh,

"Where're you from?"

but its too late,

my lying hand has fallen

fluttering

dying

across my lap

uttering not a word of explanation.

 

Silently, I can only shake my head,

I furrow my brow and shrug,

the universal sign for “no.”

As if I've forgotten

momentarily

how it is exactly

that I have come to be here.

But the pulse in my left wrist

is pounding out an SOS.

                      Save me.

This place is not my home.

After the show,

punch-drunk,

I follow you backstage.

You smell like distance,

like light and heat,

like the city,

like escape.

My heart is an insect

beating wildly against glass.

I want to run away

and join your carnival.

My unruly hand

wants to touch your mouth

and your eyelids.

Instead,

I watch you leave.

The rusty sunset

written on your back.

 

Later, alone in the bath

I float, weightless,

pretending you'll come back.

Come back for me

and my crazy lying hand.

The hand that told you

I'm not from around here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment