Tuesday, October 15, 2019

My name is Suzanne Lea

My name is Suzanne Lea. I am a Southerner by choice, having lived most of my adult life below the Mason-Dixon line. My work has been influenced by the darker parts of Southern tradition--strict religious views, conservative politics, and a history of discrimination. My work has also been influenced by the beautifully unique parts of the South--bare feet stained red with river mud, the sweetest of sweet teas, and the slow, rhythmic heartbeat of life found only along the shiny buckle of the Bible Belt. I am a news junkie, a pop culture addict, and an artist. My goal as an artist is to create distinctive and compelling things from re-purposed material. I can think of no better place to start than with language, disentangled and rearranged, creating by choice, or by happenstance, something meaningful along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment